Moodboards

Mood boards, whether they be surface pattern, fashion, colour or trend direction, are a huge part of creating designs in the textile industry. They will inspire your designs, be used in design meetings and on fashion and textile websites to inform people of the latest trends and colours.

I have been creating mood boards since I was doing my Textiles GCSE (a very long time ago) and it has taken we a while to find my own style of presenting imagery on a plain piece of paper. It takes time to find the right imagery that works collectively (yet inspires you) and to place them in a "correct order" that suits you. During my last year at University I spent months creating fashion mood boards for the floral trend and it was something I really enjoyed doing and look forward to doing in the industry. 

I good place to look for imagery is, of course, Pinterest. I have my own Pinterest, which I intend to grow with more mood boards and more inspiration. Tumblr is also a great source. For more fashion, textiles and colour sources WGSN, Vogue, Elle are all worth looking at. WSGN is something you have to pay for but if you're studying Fashion/Textiles at a University ask them if they are signed up for it, as was my University.
Pinterest Sourced Imagery. Floral Mood board for recent competition design work.
Sometimes on a mood board it is worthwhile having your drawings alongside fashion trend imagery and suggested colours. On some occasions it's ok to just have fashion trend imagery or surface pattern design. It all various on the theme, the sourced imagery and its quality, your style, the style your employee or tutor is looking for and overall how everything flows together.

Vision de Fleur Graduation Project
Vision de Fleur Graduation Project
Paris Street Style Mood board
Paris Street Style Mood board
Quand a Paris Project
Quand a Paris Project 
Quand a Paris Project
At the end of the day, my advise is to experiment, go with the flow but also think about your themes, colours, drawings and imagery and how they could all work together. Don't force yourself to make your work look like someone else's and just work it your way.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.